Allow me to definitively declare that I do not agree with the naming of the product commonly known as the Hoverboard. These two-wheeled devices have taken advantage of the arrival of Marty McFly to propel their devices to the top of the holiday season toy list. Guess what?
The Hoverboard was not without controversy even before the holidays. There were a number of reports of these “toys” spontaneously catching fire and exploding.
The video seen all over the internet to highlight the dangers of the Hoverboard is none other than Mike Tyson hitting the floor HARD…
— Good Morning America (@GMA) December 30, 2015
Doing a search on Twitter for #HoverBoardFail results in a large number of similar videos including this compilation…
The issue is of such grave concern, that the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued this statement on December 16 that included this:
While the fire hazard has generated significant attention, I do not want to downplay the fall hazard. CPSC has received dozens of reports of injuries from hospital ERs that we have contracts with and they continue to feed us real-time data.
Some of these injuries have been serious, including concussions, fractures, contusions/abrasions, and internal organ injuries. Always wear a proper helmet and padding while using this product.
A few days after the holiday, they provided an update of some statistics that had been gathered…
— U.S. CPSC (@USCPSC) December 28, 2015
As 2015 closed out, the #HoverBoardFail hashtag dominated the Social Networks and according to Google the search term has skyrocketed.
Anyone who has experienced a #HoverBoardFail can report it to SaferProducts.gov.
EMS1.com is looking to hear about your #HoverBoardFail responses:
— EMS1 (@EMS1) January 4, 2016