This past weekend inbetween squeezing a couch that was too big through a door and trying to squeeze too much content into too small a space I was able to catch the latest True Hollywood Story on none other than Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi.
For those of you not connected with the latest craze, Snooki is a cast member on the MTV “reality” show Jersey Shore. Whether you’re a fan or a critic, there is no denying that Snooki has been one of, if not the, most successful reality show stars in quite some time. Here are some things any blogger can learn from the squirrel monkey named Snooki:
- Be unique – There are thousands if not tens of thousands of “Nicole“s, but there is only one Snooki. It’s important to be able to stand out amongst the masses and having a unique identity is one way to achieve this
- Use your voice – Blogging is about empowering you to be vocal through text on what matters to you
- Take criticism for what its worth – There are generally two types of criticism, the degenerative overtly negative and the intelligently constructive. Snooki ignores the former and ponders the latter. This is a good formula to follow when on the receiving end of either
- Have a plan written in pencil, not stone – You never know where life, or blogging, will take you. Whether its going from being a vet to having your own slipper line or going from being a blogger to writing for national magazines and presenting at conferences, you need to have a plan that is flexible
- Establish yourself across many platforms while maintaining a strong foundation on YOUR terms – It is relatively hard today to get noticed in the blogosphere without using some of the more popular social networks. Snooki realizes the value of social networks, as a great way to drive traffic to her website where she still owns her content
- Be genuine to your readers but more importantly to yourself – It’s important to be honest and don’t be afraid to go against the grain or challenge the status quo if that is truly how you feel. Being genuine to your readers will endear you to them and being genuine to yourself will allow you to rest easier
- Quality counts, don’t be sloppy – No one likes a sloppy Snooki just like no one will become inspired by a sloppy blog post. Spelling, grammar, and composition all play an integral part in crafting a blog post that is both informative and readable. Failing to follow the most basic rules will result in at best some drive by views to mock your train wreck and at worst banishment into the blogger equivalent of the $.99 DVD bin at Walmart
While Snooki may not be the person you want to model your rise to blogger fame on, her success maintaining those core behaviors is undeniable and ignoring the lessons it can teach us is only doing a disservice to ourselves.